Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

MDS Awareness Week 2015!

This week is MDS Awareness Week!!

As you may recall, my Mom passed away 3 years ago on March 13th from a very rare bone marrow failure disease called Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS).  This disease is so rare, affecting less than 0.001% of the nation, that we weren’t able to officially diagnose my mom until 3 days before she passed away.  Because of the rarity of MDS, there is no research available and thus it’s very difficult to make a diagnosis.  Currently, there is no cure.  After she passed away, I channeled my grief into finding a way to help make a change.

I discovered the Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation, and immediately became involved.  For the last three years I have served on the committee for their annual Hope Steps and A Cure Walk/Run here in Long Beach to help raise awareness and funds to find a cure for MDS.  If you would like to learn more about our story, please find it on the AA&MDS site here.  This year will be my fourth year participating in the 5K, and I am asking you to join me by either walking or running the event with me, or donating to TEAM PAT REEP.  The 5K run/walk will be held on Saturday, April 25th  in Long Beach.  It’s a beautiful, scenic, and flat course along the beach path beginning in Shoreline Village.

To make a donation, please click here, then choose “Support Me”.
To register for the walk/run, please click here.

My mom was the most kind, generous, loving, and giving woman I have ever known.  She was my best friend.  Everyone who knew her loved her.  She was a leader in the Long Beach community, and devoted much of her time to philanthropic work.  It’s my turn to give back.  Please consider joining me or supporting our cause in honor of my beloved mommy, Pat Reep.


Thank you from the bottom of my heart.



0 comments:

Post a Comment