Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Boosting My Platelets Through Clean Eating!

Since I learned about my platelet disorder a couple weeks ago, I've been doing a lot of research and reading as much as I can on the topic.  One of the things I've been reading on is how to increase my platelet count.  A lot of what I’m reading relates to diet, and although nothing has been proven, it’s theoretically supposed to help.

Here are some of the foods that are theorized to increase platelet counts:
  • Leafy greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard, collard greens, etc.)
  • Broccoli
  • Lean proteins (fish, chicken, turkey)
  • Cold pressed oil, specifically sesame oil
  • Omega-3s (fish, oils)
  • Warm temperature water (cold water slows down digestive tract which can impact the body’s ability to absorb nutrients)


Foods that inhibit platelet production include:
  • Processed foods
  • Refined sugars
  • Junk food
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol
  • Tonic water (quinine)


Remember back in June/July when I was very strict with my eating?  It’s basically going back to that.  Don’t get me wrong, I still eat very healthy, but I do indulge in wine or cocktails and every now and then I've eaten pizza or things I really shouldn't eat.  Well, that all will have to go out the window.  Until my next monthly blood draw on 11/25, I am going to test this theory out and see if it works.  I had my blood drawn last week and my platelets were at 81.  Let’s see if they improve on 11/25 with strict healthy and clean eating!




2 comments:

  1. Following your journey with love hugs and prayers, brave girl! Rock on! Love your spirit!! XO - Sara

    ReplyDelete