Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

10,000 Steps + Morning Run

As most know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. What most don’t know is that October is also National Walking Month. My company is having a month-long event for employees called 10,000 Steps. The goal is for each employee to log at least 10,000 steps a day, approximately 5 miles, which studies suggest is necessary to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It’s a companywide (nationwide) competition between departments in each state, and at the end of October the department with the most steps wins! Our company even gave us cute little pedometers with our logo on them, and they kind of look like a pager from the ‘90s. It’s pretty cool, and my department is SUPER competitive. We are set on winning!



Anyways, two days ago I had an amazing run. It was a run 8 minutes, walk one, repeat three times, followed by a three minute run for a total of 30 minutes. I woke up at 5am and it was the first morning that I was actually cold. I wore my Nike dri-fit capris and a long sleeve Nike top (hot pink of course!) and hit the road running. I ran those first 8 minutes at about a 10min/mi pace with ease, and when my Garmin started beeping to tell me it was time to walk for a minute, I almost wanted to stop. But like I said before, I am sticking with my schedule to build a base no matter how good (or bad) I feel. So I walked at a brisk pace keeping my breathing rhythm in check and picked up to run for another 8min. It was dark outside and very peaceful. I started to warm up a bit and felt very comfortable. The early morning walkers/bikers/runners were starting to hit the streets and I love how everyone is so friendly and either says “Good morning” or waves with a smile. At least in my neighborhood :) After my three rounds of 8 minutes I still felt energized, and those last three minutes were cake. It was the first run that I really felt the benefit of my “slow and steady wins the race” type training. My endurance is building, and once I have my foundation, I can increase my mileage and work on speed. I love it!


Today I’m going to run 9min three times (walking one min in between each set).


Happy Wednesday!


xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment