Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Oatmeal Review!!

Last week I posted about an opportunity I received to review some custom healthy oatmeal products from MyOatmeal.com.  Well, I tried three wonderful flavors and my thoughts are written below.  Also, scroll to the end of this post to learn how to receive 15% off YOUR order at MyOatmeal.com :)

Banana Bread with Walnuts
-Gluten Free Quick Oats
-Banana Bread flavor
-Banana Chips
-Walnuts
-Monk fruit (plant, calorie free) sweetener

When I opened the bag, it smelled like fresh baked banana bread and my mouth started salivating!  I looked on the back for the cooking instructions, and they were a little more labor-intensive than your regular store-bought sugar-loaded crap.  After all, this is natural and organic, so of course there is more finesse and care in cooking this!  I followed the directions and microwaved 1 part oatmeal with 2 parts water for 1 minute, stirred, microwaved again for 45 seconds, stirred, and microwaved again for 30 seconds.  After letting it cool for a minute, I took my first bite, and it was delicious!  It was a little sweet, but the banana flavor was very nice.  It was cooked perfectly because the texture was fluffy and thick, and the walnuts added a nice crunch.
I would definitely order this combination again, but probably do without the sweetener.

Strawberry Shortcake
- Organic, Gluten Free, Thick Rolled Oats
-Strawberry Shortcake flavor
-Chipped Coconut
-Strawberries
-Chia seeds
-Monk fruit (plant, calorie free) sweetener
 Similarly to my banana bread experience,when I opened the bag I was greeted with the smell of fresh strawberries.

I’m a huge strawberry fan, so I was very excited to try this flavor.  Since these were the thick rolled oats, they had different cooking instructions.  I assumed they were the same as the banana bread oatmeal, so I didn’t read them before I started nuking in the microwave per the previous instructions.  They still came out tasty, but they were slightly more crunchy (which I actually enjoyed).  This flavor was quite sweet, and once again I’d probably do without the added sweetener.  But the added strawberries and coconut chips were absolutely delightful!  They added a perfect amount of flavor and texture (chewy strawberries and crunchy coconut).
I definitely enjoyed this concoction.

Chocolate & Peanut Butter
-Gluten Free Quick Oats
-German Chocolate Cake flavor
-Peanut Butter flavor
-Monk fruit (plant, calorie free) sweetener

I have to admit, this flavor was my least favorite of all three that I tried.  When I opened the bag, I got a faint whiff of peanut butter and even more faint smell of chocolate.
I cooked these the same as my Strawberry Shortcake since they, too are, quick oats.  After cooling for about a minute, I took my first bite.
They were thick yet fluffy, a texture I enjoy in oatmeal.  However, the flavor wasn't there.  All I could taste was sweetness from the Monk Fruit sweetener.  Both the chocolate and the peanut butter flavors were missing.  I'm a HUGE peanut butter fan, so I was expecting more.  It still was tasty and I ate it, but it tasted more like a sweetened plain oatmeal.  I probably wouldn't order this combo again.

Summary

Banana bread wins!  It was by far my favorite flavor, with Strawberry Shortcake in second.  I will definitely be ordering more from MyOatmeal.com in the future, and I recommend you do the same!  Please enjoy 15% off your order with the code healthy15.


My Oatmeal did provide me with a free sample to try and review, but this fact did not influence or alter my opinion of the product.  All views in this post are my honest assessment of the product and I am not being financially compensated for these views.

0 comments:

Post a Comment