Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Boston Stands As One


On Monday I woke up with so much excitement to watch the Boston marathon.  I was really excited to see Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan compete as they are two of my favorite runners.  I also had a couple friends running and couldn’t wait to follow them.  The Boston marathon is one of the most well-recognized athletic events in the world, and evokes a huge sense of community, camaraderie, and patriotism.  I know I will never run this infamous course as I am not remotely fast enough to even come close to qualifying, but I get such joy from watching the elites and cheering on friends and strangers.

I followed the elites and was so proud of Shalane and Kara for taking 4th and 6th respectively on one of the toughest courses out there.  Congrats to the winners Lelisa Desisa (1st place male) and Rita Jeptoo (1st place female).  I can’t imagine running 26.2 miles in under 2:30!  They are incredible athletes.  After the elites, I went on to follow my friends.  They were kicking butt!

Then the magical day that is Boston turned to tragedy when a bomb went off at the finish line followed by a second bomb 12 seconds later.  I was at work, and immediately clicked to CNN.com for live coverage.  I couldn’t believe this was happening.  And to top of it, the last mile was dedicated to the victims of the Newton massacre last December.  I immediately hopped online to see if my friends were safe, and thankfully they were (so glad they are fast runners!).

As a runner and having just run my first marathon, and many races before that, I know that feeling of excitement, relief and accomplishment when crossing that finish line.  That excitement was stripped of all those runners on Monday, for those who finished and those who were unable to.  I am horrified by this.  My heart breaks for the people who were killed and injured.  Law enforcement has been unbelievable during this, and the nation as a whole in coming together to help.  Since Monday we have identified the bombers.  One has been killed and law enforcement is pursuing the second.  I pray they find him.

My heart is with Boston, and I pray that all those affected by this horrific tragedy find peace and solace.

If you’d like to donate, please go to  OneFundBoston.org.  Boston Stands As One!



0 comments:

Post a Comment