Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Good Morning, Dear"

This morning I went for a run for the first time in a while. My Grammie recently passed away, and it’s been a very difficult time for me and my family. She was the only grandparent I ever knew, and she was my namesake, which only made our bond stronger. As I write this, I can’t help but cry, but I am comforted by the fact that she lived a beautiful and healthy 92 years, and I am blessed to have spent all my 25 years with her. I went for a short run the day after she became my guardian angel, but I could barely put one leg in front of the other.



This morning was different. I told myself before bed last night that I was going to get my bum up and run. I did, and it was the best run I’ve had in a very long time. I hit the pavement just before sunrise, and as the sun came up it filled me with so much warmth that I knew Grammie was with me and saying “Good morning dear.” Instead of crying, I smiled so big that my face almost hurt. In that moment I realized how fast I was running and how strong I felt (I didn’t have my Garmin, but I would bet anything I was running an 8:30-8:50 mile, which I’ve never run…I’m usually an 11-12 min mile). I only ran 2 miles but it was cathartic and felt incredible.


I look forward to many more great runs this year and beyond.


Happy 2011 everyone! It’s good to be back in the running swing of things :)

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! And again I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

    On another note...the necklace is beautiful and thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried when I read this. I am so sorry.. So glad you got out there and ran. You now have and extra pair of legs helping you out. When your legs get tired run with your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, I've missed you! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother... I'm happy that getting out there to run brought you happiness like that. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your back out there running! Having guardian angels is the best gift we could possbily have. She is so proud of you! I met your Grammie for a brief moment the day we went tutu shopping. She was so excited to see your engagement ring! Remember those moments and know she is always with you!

    ReplyDelete