Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Shin Splints Update - Aircast

Thursday I went to my podiatrist, and he said that my main pain point is usually not a good sign in runners.  We took an xray, but it turns out stress fractures don't show up in xrays for 3 weeks, and my injury is only 2 weeks old.  So I'm going in next week for another set of xrays to hopefully rule out a stress fracture (hopefully!!!!!!), and in the mean time I am to wear this fun little air cast:
It helps stabilize my leg/ankle with hard plastic on the outside and air bladders on the inside.  It's comfortable for a while but then it starts to annoy me.  Luckily though, my doc said I can run in it as long as I feel no pain.  I told him I'm running the Surf City 1/2 tomorrow and he looked at me and said "Be prepared to walk it, or have someone come pick you up."  What?  No way will I take a DNF, but I have to remember that this is just a training run...my goal is the LA Marathon and I want to be 100% for that.  So tomorrow I'm going to go out there, do my best, and if my leg hurts, I'll walk.  But absolutely nothing, not even a stress fracture, will keep me from running LA for Mom :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment