Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Physical Therapy Round 2: It Keeps Getting Better!

Monday I had round two of physical therapy.  It was essentially the same as last session with the heating pad, stretching, foam rolling, massaging the IT band and area around the knee, followed by icing it down.  This time however, we incorporated some hip flexor strengthening exercises after stretching followed by 10 minutes on the bike.

The hip exercises I did were:

Lying leg raises – Lying on your left side, rest your head in your left hand, placing your right hand on the floor for balance.  Lift your right leg slowly, as far as you comfortably can.  Hold at the top and lower it again, controlling the movement.  Do three sets of 10 reps and switch sides.
Sitting hip rotations – Sitting on the edge of a chair (or table), wrap a resistance band around your left foot.  While holding the band taught, raise your left foot inward, rotating at the hip.  Do 2 sets of 10 reps and switch sides.
Standing hip raises – Stand with one leg on a step so that your foot is parallel with the step.  Lower the opposite leg below the step using your hip (so your hip is the one moving up and down) and then raise.  Do 3 sets of 10 reps and switch legs.
*Note: this can also be done on a flat surface without a step.  There is just a larger range of motion when using a step.
Stability disc – Stand on the stability disc with one leg and hold for 60 seconds. Switch legs.

After these exercises I completed 10 minutes on the bike pain free!  My knee did feel “airy” like it was going to pop but never did which was both good and awkward feeling, but hooray for no pain!  Today I have PT again, and this time they’re going to tape me up and see if I can run on the treadmill comfortably for 5-10 minutes.  If I can do that, then I can attempt a 3-mile run tonight after work!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this...I have no swelling and no pain when I'm not running...so I hope that by following some of what you're doing I can get rid of this injury quickly.

    I will try and see a doctor or a pt as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely thrilled to hear you were able to do this pain-free! ::fingers and toes crossed::

    ReplyDelete