Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On Monday I started an 8-week program to become a runner. I used to run, but with a recurring knee injury it became a chore. Then last summer I twisted a vertebra in my spine, and with the help of my brilliant chiropractor, that injury took only 5 months to heal. Since then, I’ve had gotten back into my routine at the gym, but wasn’t able to run more than one mile at a time, if that.

Now, months later, I’ve decided I am going to do what I have always wanted to do—become a runner. I subscribe to Runner’s World Magazine and last week there was an article for beginning runners to become a runner in 8 weeks.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--9397-1-1X5-3,00.html

If that isn’t perfect timing, I don’t know what is! So on Monday I began my program. The first week is very straight forward:

Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat – Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes, repeat 10x

Tues/Thurs – Walk an easy 30 min

Sun – Rest

Pretty simple! I trained Monday morning before work and I have to say, it feels so good to get outside early in the morning when the world is still waking. Everything seems so peaceful and serene. It’s invigorating. And yesterday I trained during my lunch break.

Working down by the ocean has its benefits…being able to workout along shoreline and the ocean in midday while feeling the cool ocean breeze…there’s nothing like it.

I will continue on this evening after work to day 3 of my training. Before I train though, I have a Pilates class. I love Pilates. I’ve been going to this Pilates studio for almost 5 years now! It’s great for toning, stretching, and strengthening one’s core. Anyway, once my class is over, I will hit the pavement this evening when it’s nice and cool and do my Wednesday interval training! I just want to list my reasons for wanting to become a runner:

  • To benefit my overall health
  • To increase my stamina and endurance
  • To increase my strength
  • I am a foodie—I love to eat good food, and I want to run to balance that out (otherwise I’d probably be as big as a house! Not really, but you catch my drift J)
  • Tone up and lose about 5-10 pounds (since I started work, I’ve become a lot less active, ugh)

My ongoing play list (in no particular order):

  1. Metallica-“Enter Sandman”
  2. Bob Marley-“Three Little Birds”
  3. Foo Fighters-“Pretender”
  4. Darude-“Sandstorm”
  5. M.I.A.-“Paper Planes”
  6. Chairlift-“Bruises”
  7. The Knife-“Heartbeats”
  8. David Guetta-“When Love Takes Over”
  9. Iio-“Is It Love?”
  10. Andain-“Beautiful Things”
  11. Paramore
  12. Lady Gaga-“Just Dance”
  13. Paul Van Dyk-“We Are Alive” (Radio Edit)
  14. Armin Van Buren-“Zocalo” (10 Years album)
  15. The Dream-“Walkin’ On The Moon”
  16. Cobra Starship-“Good Girls Go Bad”
  17. Postal Service-“Nothing Better”
  18. 3Oh!3-“Don’t Trust Me”
  19. Black Eyed Peas-“I Gotta Feeling”
  20. Tiesto-“Love Comes Again”


0 comments:

Post a Comment