Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My First Time Cupping!

Last night I tried cupping for the first time.  Before you let your mind wander to dirty things (I know, because that's where my mind would go), let me explain what cupping is.

Cupping is an ancient Chinese form of alternative medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin.  It is believed to mobilize blood flow in order to promote healing, and help remove toxins and stagnation from the body.  Suction is created using a flame, which is briefly placed inside the cup to remove all the oxygen in order to create a vacuum, and then the cup is placed on the person's body.  The cups may remain in place, or they can be moved along the body's muscles to help promote blood flow.

I love acupuncture.  I recently found a new acupuncturist who turns out is a friend of my uncle, and she is absolutely wonderful!  Her energy is contagious and her positive spirit is palpable.  Last night was my first session with her, and upon first meeting it was as if we had been lifelong friends.  She is a true gem.  She explained to me what cupping was and asked me if I'd be interested in trying it, along with acupuncture and acupressure massage.  Without hesitation I said "absolutely!"


Cupping was the most interesting feeling.  It was odd at first, mainly because I'd never had anything suctioned to my back before, let alone 6-8 glass cups (these are cups specifically designed for cupping).  After a couple minutes, I was in a complete state of relaxation.  She began moving the cups along my back in very rhythmic movements, and the feeling was so therapeutic   I definitely felt toxins leaving my body, my breath deepen, and my blood circulating more thoroughly throughout my body.  It was relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time!  Just as a warning, since there is suction, cupping does tend to leave bruises.  It's not painful at all, but if you are planning on wearing a backless dress and don't want round bruises on your back showing to the world, don't do it.  Otherwise, give it a try!!






0 comments:

Post a Comment